Thursday, April 3, 2008

Am I getting smarter or drunker?

The last three nights were both heavily intoxicating and intelligent

Monday night, I was stuck at work and missed most of the Met’s opening game. I did catch the tail end of it with Brownsox and Hubris at McCanns in Astoria. We stayed after the game for some pints, partially to mourn the loss of Uber260, which weighs heavily on Brownsox. After a while, the subject of woman came up, and for whatever reason, that sent Hubris off on a rant about the nature of the human spirit, which would over time flow out into a condemnation of Organized Religion and the responsibilities of the Fourth Estate. While I am not a very religious man, I do have spiritual beliefs as well as ties to the Church of Rome (I stole that from Tombstone), and argued on the roots and merit of religion both as an institution and a philosophical concept. I did agree with Hubris’s other rant on that in our information-heavy world we need to find a way to separate journalism from some dude wanking off.

We also drank a lot of Harps.

I won’t go into massive details about the discussion, but basically Hubris went off on his super-humanist, semi-Hobbesian “We do what makes us feel good” rant he sometimes does, which I do not totally disagree with, but find too limiting to the complexity of the human psyche and the creation of the world. However, it was a good discussion, mostly being a dialogue of ideas as opposed to two guys telling at the other that they are wrong (as these things often become), with Brownsox occasionally interjecting and rocking the jubebox.

We also drank a lot of Harps.

Tuesday I had a couple of drinks with Gymnast’s brother, AlsoGymnast (will probably change that name later, but now I find it funny) and discussed the business side of Theatre, and of a project we may work on together. Again, Harp consumed in mass, but the dialogue was of a higher quality than the usual stuff I say and later forget when drinking.

Wednesday was the biggest blowout. I met up with Bourbon Samurai, Gymnast and Teach to discuss theatre stuff at Gymnast’s new Astoria pad (the army grows!). After a good meeting, we all needed some food, and I needed a beer. We headed over to Fatty’s Café, a place near my house with solid food and a crappy bar. When we sat down, the waitress explained to us that if we ordered Tecate, we got a free shot of Tequila with it. This turned a sedate dinner into a passionate debate on playwriting, fueled by Mexicans intoxicants. We stayed out far too late (closed the place down, in fact) but had a great dialogue about the nature of dramatic structure, and collaboration.

So obviously not my wildest week, but still tons of boozing with a higher level of conversation than one would expect. It kind of harkened back to my college days, where often I would sit in a room with 5 other dudes draining a bottle of Whiskey and talking about plays (it actually was very fun, despite how depressing it sounds). Tonight I am having dinner with Banker, Rockstar and Bourbon Samurai, so pretty sedate there, followed by a weekend filled with Battlestar Galactica, a balls early futbol fixture, and packing up for my move in May.

will still probably drink a lot of Harps.

No comments: