Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Video game ruminations

It is a busy season for Video Games, and here are my thoughts on some big recent releases.

1: Grand Theft Auto IV: Honestly, not a huge fan. I appreciate the graphics and the scope of the Sandbox world it created, and the story is top notch but the actual game mechanics I do not enjoy at all. Driving is awkward and fighting is clunky. A problem with the series too is that is simulates stuff I could be doing myself. Virtual Bowling is not for me, I could just go freaking bowling!

A dangerous side effect of playing GTA is that after awhile, you start thinking the real world works the same way. You will be walking down the street, get tired of walking, and contemplate going over to a car in the street, yanking the driver out, and driving away, running any red light that slows you down. This is very bad.

There was an article in the Times a couple of weeks ago about how the actor who did the voice and body work for Nico was screwed out of tons on money. I feel little pity for the guy, as he still was very well paid for the work. I am interested by the idea that Video Games are making enough money that royalties are now an issue. This should be a cool discussion to track.

2: UEFA EURO CUP 2008: I have been playing this a lot with the boys, and it has been fun. The nice thing about a soccer sports game is that it can be played by anybody (Get the ball by the net, then shoot it, not hard to understand), but is better enjoyed by fans of the game. Although, much like watching The Beautiful Game, playing Euro ’08 can be both really fun and really frustrating. The controls have some funky spots and the nature of the sport can induce fits of rage. I do not play it that much with others because of this aspect, as the last thing I need when I come home from my stress inducing job is a video game designed to create stress. That and everybody else is better at it than me.

3: Metal Gear Solid 4, Guns of the Patriots: OH MY FRAKKING GOD! It is rare that a game can live up to gamer’s hype, but here it is. The graphics are truly Next-Gen, and the story is huge and multi-layered, making a point to tie up every loose end from the entire series. The game-play is the best the series has ever had, eliminating some of the more annoying tweaks from previous games. Having a stealth game take place in war zones is an awesome idea that allows for great visuals and creative game-play. Finally a reason to own a Playstation 3 besides a blu-ray copy of Talladega Nights.

MGS 4 has very much been a factor as to why this blog as been so slow of late. I finally have a reson for a quiet night home. Lucky for you, dear reader(s?) I have beaten the game, and will return to my drunken antics shortly.

No comments: