Monday, March 17, 2008

Wipe a golden tear from your mother dear, and raise what's left of the flag for me!

Top O’ the afternoon to ya! Yes, its St. Patty’s day, the only day a year where being Irish and drunk makes you cool.

Now I must admit I am not a huge fan of St. Patrick’s Day. I view it, same as New Years, as an ‘amateur night’, where you are surrounded by assholes overdoing it, and are expected to have tons on fun and feel like shit unless you have the best night ever. It also does not help that I have lived in two cities, New York and Chicago, where the crazy goes overboard very quickly on this day of days. This is why I like to invent my own holidays.

I do have one fond memory of St. Patrick’s. Last year, my friends invented a little thing called an ‘Irish Alarm”. The I.A. consists of a person being woken up by his dear friends barging into his room and pouring beer and Irish whiskey all over his sleeping form. Hell of a way to start a day. The original plan was to use this to start up Quantumus, but I woke up too early, so it was moved to St. Patrick’s. The scariest thing was about 30 seconds before they burst in, I heard them outside my door and quickly gathered what was about to happen. Alas, I had no time to do anything but hug the covers and await my fate.

I probably will be too busy to go out this year, but I did spend most of Saturday (the church sanctioned St. Patrick’s day, if anyone cares) completely hammered, so much so that at one point Bourbon Samurai said to me “Everything you just said, you said to me four hours ago before you passed out at 7pm.” I got to re-evaluate some life choices.

I do not intend to bash a fine Irish holiday, just point out that I have little personal affection for it, as I have had very few great St. Patty’s Day experiences. If anyone has a disagreeing voice, or would like to share a beloved St. Patty’s day memory, please leave a comment.

Not much else to report. Arsenal keeps drawing which sucks, work is really cool which is cool, and I am moving out of my apartment in May, which combines cool and suck into one confusing ball of life change. Oh, Bourbon Samurai is back in town, and Hubris is still living in our house, so this should lead to something crazy at some point.

Erin Go Bragh!

UPDATE: I just went outside for my lunch break, and saw several policemen drinking beer as they walked around Midtown. I may have been too harsh on this holiday.

No comments: