Friday, November 14, 2008

Alright, let's try something new

Okay so a lot has gone down recently

1: America elected a black guy.

How Q spent the event

Went over to Arsenal’s house, spilt a bottle of Wild Turkey with Hubris, left a apologetic message on Uber260’s cell, don’t remember how I got home.


2: Arsenal beat Man United

How Q spent the event

Went to work, went drinking after work, went back to Nevada’s after drinking after work, don’t remember how I got home.

3: The show I have been working on for the last three months closed

How Q spent the event

Split a Heineken from a mini-keg with my boss, had dinner at a famous stage directors house, drank in lower east side, don’t remember how I got home.

You seeing a pattern?

So while the last couple of weeks have been extremely awesome, I have been losing a little too much time and sense. Thus I am engaging in a social experiment. For the next two or so weeks, I will be ‘One Drink Q’.

What does that mean, you ask dear reader(s?)? What it means is I can only have one drink. No more infinite beers or glass after glass of Whiskey. Now when I go out, I can only have a single drink. There are some tiny exceptions.

1: Nevada Smiths acts as a ‘safe zone’ where I can only have one beer, but it will not count for the beer of the day. This way, I can go to the game in the morning, and still go out for a drink that evening.

2: At meals I may have one drink, and again it will not count for the daily total

3: If several hours have passed since my last drink, (like 4-6) I can leave it up to good judgment as to whether or not I can have another single drink.

So what is the real point of this, you ask? I have gone on several enforced ‘dry spells’ before, and while it is good for my health, there is a desire to avoid everyone, and that one inevitable evening when you are swilling seltzer and decide that you hate everyone you know. My hope is that allowing myself a single drink; I will still be sociable and not erupt in rage.

Also, I might start acting like an adult.

I will do some sort of post mortem about the experience when it is done. Right now the deadline is Thanksgiving (no one should have to be sober for a family holiday) which is followed by a two Derby Sunday at Nevada’s (Stanford Bridge is falling down!). After these events, the ruling may be extended or altered (2 drink Q? No Beer Q? Only high end cocktails Q?) depending on how I am feeling and what I have learned from the process. I am excited to see how this goes. It is a chance to chill out, loose a little weight, and rethink some stuff, all while not going crazy denying myself something I enjoy.

This is the kind of shit that happens when you get too old to die young.

1 comment:

Dubs said...

Good luck with this. Though I'm curious, can "one drink" translate into things like "one forty" or "one jug of Carlo Rossi"?

Also, why the hell can't I read Bourbon's blog anymore? Yell at him for me.