Friday, December 14, 2007

Great Bars of NYC Part One: The Irish Rover, the local

Our series on the best bars in NYC (in my foolish opinion) start with this spot in Astoria, the Irish Rover. The Irish Rover is a basic Irish bar, good tap, lots of sports, Dart board, all the basics. It is located literally down the block from where both Teach as well as Arsenal and Sasquach live, so easy to get to (it is however, a good half hour walk for me, but I could use the exercise).
What makes this bar unique can be explained in the story of the first time I went there. After work, I went over there to meet up with Teach, who arrived there several hours earlier. The bartender was a cheery middle aged Irish guy, who quickly earned our love by comping our every third drink, like clockwork. Now for everywhere else in the world, a nice bartender in a local bar comping a couple of rounds is no thing, but this is New York City, where if they get your order right you are happy. This guy was happy to offer the extra rounds of Guinness or miller lite for Teach and Harp for me. Eventually, Bourbon and Brownsox came by, and we made a night of it, raising only a $40 bar tab between the 4 of us over the course of the entire evening. I was smitten.
Now the next evening, teach and I decide to return to the Rover for another couple of rounds. We are barely in the door, where the same bartender from last night smiles at us and ask if we want a Guinness and a Harp. This guy did not miss a beat before memorizing our drink orders. He even remembered when Teach dropped down from Guinness to Miller Lite (3 in, if u be curious). The most amazing thing was when I was standing at the bar, finished my Harp, turned around to talk to this girl who was convincing me to get a batman tattoo, and when I turned around all of a minute later, my empty pint glass had been replace by a full and beautiful Harp. I thought the bar was haunted by the greatest ghosts ever.
Since then we have spent many a fine night at the rover, drinking cheaply near where half of us live. A local bar perfected!
Up next, either a post about this weekend, or we move the best bar series along to the East Village, to the best bar to go to at 7 am.

1 comment:

Jared and Beth said...

Wait - is it the bar you love? Or the bartender? Sounds like someone has a man-crush.